This is a delicious and super moist chocolate cake! This recipe yields enough batter to use with the three Ella Vanilla Cake Kit pans, or for three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups of cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups of strong, hot coffee
- 3 ¼ cups of all purpose flour
- 3 ¾ cups of sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups of buttermilk*
TIP: *If you don’t have buttermilk, you can create your own. Place 1 ¾ teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar in a liquid measuring cup and continue to fill with whole milk until 1 ¾ cups of liquid is achieved.
Note: Don’t want to use coffee? Simply replace the coffee with 1 ½ cups of hot water and 3 ½ oz. of chopped semi-sweet chocolate. Dissolve the chocolate and cocoa powder with the hot water and smooth with a fork.
- Position two oven racks toward the center of the oven
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease and lightly flour three 8-inch round baking pans
- Measure out all ingredients
- In a medium bowl dissolve the cocoa powder with the hot coffee and mix it with a fork until smooth. Add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla and set aside
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt) and set aside
Place the eggs into the bowl of a standing mixer or mixing bowl and beat on medium-high for about 5 minutes to incorporate air.
On low speed, slowly add wet mixture to the eggs.
Add half of the dry ingredients in small additions. Scrape the bowl well with a rubber spatula.
Add the remaining dry ingredients in small additions. Scrape bowl with spatula. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds or until smooth. Do not over beat. Batter is intended to be thin.
If you are using paper baking pans, place the pans on cookie sheets for easy handling. Fill the three cake pans with equal amounts of batter (about 3 1/3 cups per pan). Do not fill the pans more than 1/3 of the way full.
Bake the cakes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50-55 minutes. Cakes are finished baking when a toothpick or sharp knife is inserted in the center and comes out clean of batter and the top of the cake springs back lightly when touched.